Fall Kick-off Retreat
September 15 @ 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
Students, Faculty, and Staff – you’re invited!
Our theme for this year’s Retreat is “finding your place.” We will focus on one’s sense of belonging in the uncertain time in which we live.
This annual retreat, which is FREE and open only to Indiana Campus Compact partner campuses, is a chance for faculty, staff, and students, of all levels of involvement in service-learning and community engagement, to hone their skills and leave rejuvenated and ready to work.
This year’s opening keynote from Exodus Refugee Immigration is an overview of refugee resettlement in the US and how communities can welcome and support newcomers, with a focus on how campuses can be involved and will include a chance for Q & A.
Track one is a deep-dive, day-long workshop from renown service-learning pioneer and social justice activist Nadinne Cruz on renewing the risk-taking vision and values of best principles of service-learning and community engagement and embedding them into actionable work. Each participant will be required to read two very short books prior to the Retreat.
Track two consists of four peer-led community conversations about sensitive topics connected to the work of service-learning and community engagement. Topics include:
- Geographies of Equity – Jennifer R. Wies, Ball State University
- Globalizing Indiana – Annagul Yaryyev and Jennifer Sdunzik and Purdue University
- Civil (In)Tolerance – Angela Dawn Hofstetter , Butler University
- Fostering Civil Discourse on Campuses – Mana Derakhshani and Julie Storme, Saint Mary’s College
Track three consists of student-friendly programming which will leave students and student affairs professionals with a renewed sense of purpose and concrete steps to get there. The program will include:
- Bias Awareness Training – Stephanie Moran and Michael Thigpen, Anderson University
- An Introduction to the Campus Vote Project
- The ‘Spark’ that Ignites Social Innovation: A Changemaker Panel Discussion
- Finding Your Purpose via Your Hustle – Charli Lienemann and IUPUI, and Laura Weaver, Indiana Campus Compact
Additionally, we will provide space and special programming for Indiana Campus Compact Campus (ICC) Liaisons to connect and to learn how to leverage the resources of ICC and get the most out of your membership.
REGISTRATION and logistics
- Registration is free for partner campuses
- Registration closes September 5, 2017
Indiana Campus Compact is happy to help
Exodus Refugee help our new neighbors.
Will you consider adding something
from their Amazon wishlist to your next order?