2013 International Service Learning Summit
|From Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 08:00am |
To Friday, October 25, 2013 - 05:00pm
Fall 2013 International Service Learning Summit
Buffett Center for International and Comparative Studies,
Center for Global Engagement, Northwestern University
Center for Social Development and Gephardt Institute for Public Service,
Washington University in St. Louis
In collaboration with the Building Bridges Coalition
Please join us at Northwestern from October 23-25, 2013 as we continue to explore the most cutting-edge trends, as well as the biggest opportunities and challenges in higher education related to global/service learning. This summit will build on the success of the “International Service and Higher Education: At the Threshold of a New Era” conference held at Washington University in St. Louis in 2011. We look forward to hosting a gathering that builds a community of practice among international service learning facilitators by inviting constructive examination of our work and engaging in critical conversations about our impact in communities abroad.
This conference will bring together those involved in community-based, experiential or service learning efforts abroad to examine critical issues facing the field and create an agenda for developing and measuring our success as international educators.
The summit will include various discussion areas framed by panel presentations followed up by break-out sessions with a final report back session to share feedback, summarize group discussions and explore actions to be taken.
Preliminary Conference Details:
Wednesday, October 23
12-3 PM Registration and Check-in
3:30 PM Welcome
4:00 PM Opening Keynote:
• Budd Hall, UNESCO co-chair for Community-Based Research and Social Responsibility in Higher Education
5:30 PM Reception
6:30 PM Dinner and Opening Plenary: Core Principles and Standards of ISL/GSL
• Eric Hartmann, Visiting Assistant Professor of Global Studies, Providence College
• Richard Kiely, Director, Engaged Learning + Research, Cornell University
• Matthias Brown, Jamaica Site Director – Amizade
• Patrick Green, Director, Center for Experiential Learning, Loyola University Chicago
Other confirmed speakers include:
• Mireille Mather, Executive Director, Foundation for Sustainable Development
• Saul Garlick, CEO, ThinkImpact
• Jessica Evert, Executive Director, Child Family Health International
• Nicole Patel, Presidential Management Fellow, U.S. Department of State
• Ryan Richards, Founder, Serve-Smart
• Rachel Tomas Morgan, Assistant Director, Center for Social Concerns, Notre Dame
Thursday’s schedule will include various panels related to ISL partnerships, preparation and re-entry, assessing student learning and community impact along with break-out sessions for each panel. This format will create an applied setting for groups of panelists and participants to discuss the content and issues raised and to report back to the larger group, bringing practical attention to best practices, opportunities for collaboration, as well as the common dilemmas relevant to our work in communities, on campuses, within and between organizations. The summit will conclude at noon on Friday, October 25.
A full conference schedule will be available shortly.
Further details and logistics:
• Registration fee: $300
• Lodging: A room block has been arranged at Hotel Orrington in Evanston, IL.
The on-line booking code for the group is NUISLS which can be entered in the area that asks for “Group/Convention Code.” Hotel reservations may also be made by calling 1-800-445-8667 (1-800-HILTONS). In order to receive the group rate, let them know you are with the NU International Service Learning Summit.